DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATIONAL SCIENCES
“Innovation in Learning from You Partner in Higher Education”
School leavers and those aspiring to enter the teaching profession and serving teachers to earn a qualification through Distance Mode
Three passes in any stream at G.C.E. (A/L) and “C” pass in English at O/L OR
English medium education in National Curriculum or Edexcel / Cambridge OR
Good O/L results with a “B” pass in English / acceptable English qualification
- English Language Skills
- Study Skills
- Meditation & MBCT
- English Language Teaching Methodology & TKT
- Linguistics and Structure of English
- English Phonology
- Public Speaking Skills
- Curriculum Studies: National Curriculum & Edexcel / Cambridge
- Lesson Development: Objectives, Plans for Four Skills, Grammar & Vocabulary & Teaching Aids
- English Literature
- Language Testing and Evaluation
- Technology in ELT
- Action Research
- Music & Drama
- GESE -Trinity Exams
- Introduction Principles of Education & Sociology of Education
- Educational Psychology
- Classroom Management
- School Visits-Child Observation & Development of Four Skills
- Reflective Practice & Journal
- Mid- Course Examination, Presentation, Discussions, Assignments, Quiz, Viva, Practical Work, Individual and Group Tasks and Project Work- will carry 40% towards the final grade.
- End of course exams will contribute the balance 60%.
Full- time – 12 months (08.30 am – 03.30 pm from Monday to Friday) Two school terms of institutional training and two terms of internship in a selected school
Part –time – 15 months (08.30 am -03.30 pm on Saturday and Sunday)
Distance mode – 12 months (Online, Monthly seminar, Assignments)
Online – Fulltime/ Part-time
On – campus – Fulltime/ Part-time
- With Diploma in Teaching English, one can proceed to B. Ed in Teaching English as a Foreign Language offered in affiliation with IIC University of Technology, Cambodia.
- Those students will be exempted from the first Year of the Three-Year Bachelor of Education Programme.
- With this Diploma, one can continue to read for B.A. General with English as a subject from SIBA Campus, Kandy. This is a UGC & MOHE accredited degree.
- They can earn a WORLD CLASS TEACHING QUALIFICATION by taking up the TKT -Teaching Knowledge Test- Examination which is conducted by the University of Cambridge, London. All students are given training in TKT which is incorporated into the curriculum. They can sit the examination through the British Council.